- Location: York
- Salary: National Living Wage according to age
- Basis: Full-time (37 hours per week), permanent
The main purpose of this position is to assist the Management Accountant in providing an effective accounts processing service for STEM Learning Ltd.
The successful candidate will develop their finance skills and have the opportunity to complete an approved apprenticeship at the level suitable for the successful candidate's qualifications and prior experience.
STEM Learning operates Microsoft Business Central accounting system and the post holder will be required to support the Management Accountant, as part of a small accounts processing team, in maintaining and developing an effective accounting system.
The post holder will display a positive and enthusiastic approach in their work and work to the highest of standards with excellent attention to detail. A flexible and resourceful person is required in order to also provide occasional administrative support as may be required. Support to the post holder with their own professional development (e.g. AAT training).
The post holder will work directly for the Management Accountant, who in turn reports to the Finance Manager, and will play a key role in this small Finance Team in helping provide a quality financial service for both internal and external customers of STEM Learning Ltd.
Specifically the post-holder will undertake the following duties:
- Processing sales orders/invoices/credits/receipts, including banking amounts received
- Processing purchase orders/invoices/expense claims/credits/payments, including cheque, BACS and credit card payments
- Maintaining customer and supplier records
- Undertaking credit control
- Reconciliations of bank, petty cash, sales ledger and purchase ledger
- Processing of accounts journals
- Assistance in preparation of grant funding claims
- Assistance in development of accounting system, processes and reporting
- Preparing and maintaining spreadsheet analyses
- Printing, photocopying and file management of financial information
- Dealing efficiently with internal/external accounts enquiries and information requests (e.g. use of request tracker and confluence, support to staff budget holders and external audit support)
- To engage in learning and development activities appropriate to the skills and competences required to fulfil the position
- Any other tasks as reasonably required by the Management Accountant.
Our Ideal Candidate
You will have the following essential skills, experience and expertise:
- GCSE English and Mathematics Grade A – C or equivalent
- Computer literate
- Excellent numeracy skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and cope with conflicting demands, while working to deadlines
- Confident at working on your own initiative but also able to work as part of a team
- Willingness to undertake further training as appropriate.
It would also be desirable, but not essential if the post holder has a knowledge of web-based applications
Applications are welcomed from current apprentices wishing to progress their skills and level of apprenticeship. Upon completion of the apprenticeship the business will discuss the option to remain employed within the business to further support the next stage of their career.
- 30 days holidays plus bank holidays
- Access to a fantastic pension scheme, where employer contributions are currently 21.8%,
- Access to a salary sacrifice and staff benefits scheme including: cycle to work scheme; health cash back plans; free eye tests; discounted vouchers
- A comprehensive employee assistance programme
The National STEM Learning Centre & Network is a key UK resource for supporting STEM teaching and learning through provision of resources, on-line and physical networking and communities and partnership with a wide range of organisations and individuals. This includes driving forward on-going development of the STEM Ambassadors and STEM Clubs programmes alongside subject-specific support for all involved in teaching STEM subjects to young people.
There is no closing date for this appointment; applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis so early applications are recommended.
- Your up to date CV, including your full postal address, email and contact telephone number
- A covering letter (no more than the equivalent of 2 sides of A4) explaining your interest in the role
- Contact details of two referees, including your current/most recent employer (please note, references will not be approached without your permission)